Friday, November 30, 2012

Four Ideas for Your Advent Calendar

I hope you have all finished up your advent calendars!  I am so glad that I got mine done ahead of time, but of course I'm still filling it up at the last minute. :-)  That's how I roll....



Before I start to share these incredible ideas let me say.... It's ok if you don't have the time, energy or the means to pull any of these off!  Sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves during the holidays.  As I read these ideas I thought "I want to do them all!!!" Since I can't clone myself and I do have a job and a family, I'm going to school and I'm a Close To My Heart consultant, I think I'll myself a break.  I'll enjoy what I have already decided to put in my calendar and keep my eyes and my heart open for opportunities to serve.

One of my favorite memories of last holiday season was the sincere gratitude I received when I helped an elderly woman load her groceries into her car.  I may have been serving her, but the memory of the encounter has warmed my heart and blessed me all year long.

And with that....here are some ideas that I might do next year, or the year after, or.....

1. Add a little humor to the stressful days-
Over at Over the Big Moon they created printable jokes for their Elf on the Shelf.  There are 20...Make up four of your own to fill every drawer.

We need a little humor at work too, so I printed an extra set to display on my counter.  We're not here tomorrow so we got to enjoy our first joke today.

2. Random Acts of Kindness
Katherine shared a great idea she did with her family and since good ideas inspire others and friendships, check out how this blogger implemented the idea with her family.

3. An Activity a day 
You're probably doing many of these things with your family anyway so this might be easier than you think!
Check out All Things Simple's post to see their list


Help keep your heart centered on what the season is about
A few years ago I came across a scripture a day advent that really helped me to pause during this crazy season.  Since then I've varied it many different ways.  Last year I tried to memorize The Living Christ.  I didn't finish the whole thing, but that just gives me something to work towards, right?

I don't mention my faith on my blog much, but I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) so I chose a scripture advent that reflects my beliefs.  There are many scripture references from the King James version of the Bible.  Feel free to adapt these ideas for yourself and/or search the internet for additional spiritual advent ideas.

4. Scripture a Day
Come Let Us Adore Him - Daily Devotional about Christ
This is the one I'm going to read this year.  

Miss the boat and wish you had started this earlier?  Well, here's a little mini spiritual version that goes from December 13th - December 25th. Prophecies of Christ's Coming

Do you have additional ideas to share?  
I would love to hear if you're using an advent calendar and what you are doing.



No comments: