Thursday, April 23, 2009

An Awesome Birthday Present!

So my birthday is still 6 days away, but Josh got me a present that had to be opened tonight. He took me to the live showing of This American Life. In order to fully appreciate the significance of this gift and how happy it made me, you need to know that.

I love This American Life!!

Not only do I love it, but I think that everyone else should love it too. One year I thought I had come up with THE best idea for Christmas gifts! I bought my inlaws, my mom and my brother and sister inlaw This American Life cds. I carefully chose which ones I thought would most suit their personalities and I even made sure I gave my Mom and my brother different versions so that they could trade back and forth. I'm not complaining, but I do think it's important to mention that none of them have called me to tell me which episode was their favorite. I'm sure it's because they are too busy downloading episodes to their ipods so they can catch up on all of the past episodes and have a full and meaningful discussion with me about their favorites.

I thought I might have a new convert a few weeks ago. Josh started listening to podcasts! Not only did he start listening to a podcast, but he was turning it on in the car, telling me I had to listen and he was sharing it with others. As I listened to How Stuff Works with him I couldn't help but recommend another wonderful podcast. He NEEDED to listen to This American Life.

I don't think he has actually subscribed to their podcast, yet. But all of that is how we got to today. Somehow he found out about the special showing tonight and he forked over $42 to buy us tickets AND he went with me. I had to laugh when Ira Glass asked the people in the theater audiences to clap if they had no idea who he was but got dragged there by a friend. There were definately a few claps and hopefully some new fans.

I have to say that one of the reasons I was so excited to go to the show was because finally I would be surrounded by people who "get" it. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to explain it to people. It's almost as hard as trying to explain blogging. "You mean you write about your life so that random strangers can read it.?" It's hard being the only nerd in your group of friends.

Well tonight I wasn't alone. Tonight I was in a theater packed with fans and it was so much fun. I was fascinated with watching Ira Glass. Here is the face that goes with that wonderful voice. I love how he speaks and how he phrases things and I couldn't take my eyes off of him. It was fun to see his little smirks when he tried to keep from laughing. And I was very impressed with how effortless he made it look when he cued up the music and added the pre-taped portions of the show.

I don't know that I would want to watch the episode every week. I think part of the charm is the ability to make up your own pictures in your head, but it was fun to see the people who comprised the different acts. To see the emotion on their faces as they told their stories. It was everything that I love about the show.

And so... if you are already a fan, you have one more opportunity to see the show at the theater. They are replaying it on May 7th. Not a fan yet? Humor me, go download an episode or two and see what you think. I now know that I am not the ONLY nerd that loves it. Maybe you have an inner nerd in you that you need to connect with.

2 comments:

alirecm said...

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Just finished listening to the one you went to. Really enjoyed the whole thing but was especially tickled that Dr. Horrible and Joss Whedon were featured (love them!).

Dawn said...

I knew you would like it!!! We're kindred spirits. Who else can I talk to about all the techie stuff I love.

Now I'll have someone else to talk This American Life with too!