Thursday, November 01, 2007

And they are off.....

I woke up bright and early. Ok, so it wasn't bright. In fact it wasn't light at all! It was pitch dark at 3:45 am, but I digress.

We woke up bright and early and headed to....the AIRPORT. Yep, my dear son is on his way to Europe. I am so excited for him. He is probably in Chicago right now, switching planes and going through customs. At least I assume he has to go through customs, but maybe not. I am not the world travler. This is definately a case of doing something for your child that you did not have the opportunity to do for yourself.

For the next twelve days he will be touring Italy, France and England. I told him that I thought it was very accommodating of them to start their trip on the first of the month. Now I can follow along on the itinerary and I don't have to think too hard. Day 1 - November 1st. Day 2 - November 2nd.

So Day 1's itinerary is.... Overnight flight to Italy. Speed across the sky tonight on your flight to Mediterranean Europe.

So far I am doing pretty good. I am not the weepy mom. I think life is an adventure and I want him to enjoy it and live it. That means moms have to let go.

His girlfriend's mom and my step-sister (my niece went too.) were a little weepy. The gf's mom said something about just being worried that it could be the last time she sees her daughter. Me, I just think about things differently. I don't get worked up about it. The reality is that everytime you go somewhere, it could be the last time. All the more reason to make sure your family always knows how much you love them. If something horrible were to happen. I would be comforted to know that he was having the time of his life.

Of course, it's all kind of funny if you think about it. They are all weepy and I would be willing to bet that if something was going to happen. It would happen to MY kid. There's a reason why we purchased all the travel insurance and everyone always makes sure they have a first aid kit when he's around.


Updated to say: I just got a very happy phone call from Chicago. It sounds like they are already having a blast!

No comments: